As established in 1793, Norfolk County consisted of twenty-one towns: Bellingham, Braintree, Brookline, Cohasset, Dedham, Dorchester, District of Dover, Foxborough, Franklin, Medfield, Medway, Milton, Needham, Quincy, Randolph, Roxbury, Sharon, Stoughton, Walpole, Weymouth, and Wrentham, with an area of 445 square miles and a population of 23,828.
As Massachusetts has developed, boundaries of and within Norfolk County have changed. Additional towns have been incorporated within Norfolk County: Canton (1797), Hyde Park (1868), Norfolk (1870), Norwood (1872), Holbrook (1872), Wellesley (1881), Millis (l885), Avon (1888), Westwood (1897), and Plainville (1905), and four communities have been annexed to the city of Boston and thereby returned to Suffolk County: Roxbury (1867), Dorchester (1869), West Roxbury (1873), and Hyde Park (1911).
Norfolk County at present is made up of one city (Quincy) and twenty-seven towns, four of which- Weymouth, Franklin, Randolph, and Braintree- have city forms of government. As a result of its history, Norfolk County has two communities (Brookline and Cohasset) which are not contiguous with the rest of the county, and Norfolk County as a whole is located south of Suffolk County, notwithstanding the origin of the counties’ respective names.
Norfolk County is known as the “County of Presidents,” being the birthplace of four Presidents of the United States: John Adams, John Quincy Adams, John F. Kennedy, and George Herbert Walker Bush.
Many Norfolk County communities are residential suburbs of Boston. Economic activity within the county includes a wide range of business including technology, research and development, retail, wholesale, and manufacturing. The county’s greatest extent, from Cohasset Harbor to the southwest corner of Bellingham- is about thirty-six miles, and from the most northern point of the town of Wellesley to the Bristol County line, the distance is about seventeen miles. Bounded on the northeast by Massachusetts Bay, geographic features include the Blue Hills and the Charles and Neponset rivers. The area is served by several interstate highway routes, including Routes 95, 93 and 495. The county has an area of 408 square miles and a population, in the year 2010 census, of 670,850.